Oral vs. Injectable Steroids
Oral steroids are those that come in tablet or liquid suspension forms. Some common examples include Anadrol, Anavar, Winstrol, Dianabol, and Halotestin. They require daily dosing, either all at once or broken down into two or more doses throughout the day, and they are generally the most hepatotoxic (liver toxic) of all of the steroids out there. What’s more, oral steroids carry side effects that include significant bloating, high blood pressure, and headaches. However, expert steroid users all agree that there is nothing like a powerful oral steroid to promote massive gains in short order. For this reason, many bodybuilders choose oral steroids over their injectable counterparts.
Injectable steroids are those that you must inject subcutaneously or intramuscularly. For the most part, they require less frequent dosing than their oral counterparts do, though this depends primarily on the steroid’s half-life. Some popular examples of injectable steroids include Trenbolone, Deca Durabolin, and Winstrol depot (Winstrol is available in both forms), to name a few. Although injectable steroids are not as hepatotoxic as oral steroids are, they can still present some risks. Side effects vary based on the exact compound. Expert users all agree that injectable steroids are best for higher quality gains over time and there is nothing at all like them when it comes to cutting cycles.
Which Steroids Come in which Forms?
The chart below shows some of the most popular anabolic steroids for performance enhancement and whether they are available in oral or injectable forms.
Almost all steroids come in an oral form, but these are not as bioavailable as their injectable counterparts. Along those same lines, it’s important to remember that you may find someone selling injectable Anavar or Dianabol, but these were made in underground labs rather than pharmaceutical companies. It is up to you whether you choose to trust the maker.
Which Should You Choose?
Oral and injectable steroids both have their benefits. Primarily, oral steroids offer huge gains in short periods, and injectable steroids offer smaller, higher quality gains over longer periods of time. Most of the bodybuilders and athletes who utilize anabolic steroids will actually use both during a cycle. They will start out with one of the oral steroids as a “kick-start” for their gains, then switch over to an injectable before the side effects become too much to handle. This way, they can enjoy quick gains from the start, then turn them into lean muscle without much water retention throughout the rest of the cycle.
Considerations when Choosing Your Steroid
The most important thing to do before you decide on oral vs injectable steroids is think about all the pros and cons. When thinking about oral vs. injectable steroids, think about your unique wants and needs along with the recommendations of others. It may be clear that injectable Trenbolone is the best steroid for your needs, but if it simply isn’t available to you, or if it doesn’t fit your budget, then that steroid isn’t right for you. Here are some things to consider:
- Your privacy. Most people who use anabolic steroids like to do so privately and discreetly. If you are frequently away from home, then injectable steroids may not be the right choice for your needs. Some people have no issue with carrying syringes and taking their steroids with them to hotels, but others simply prefer oral vs injectable steroids because they are more discreet and afford them more privacy.
- Ease of use. For others, injections are simply too difficult to measure and prepare. The margin for error is larger with injectable steroids, which means you can err in filling your syringe or even in injecting. Pills do away with some of these potential issues, which is yet another reason why some people prefer them.
- Frequency of dosing. If you are someone who dislikes taking a daily dose of a medication, then injectable steroids may be the best choice for your needs. Most need only twice-weekly or every-other-day dosing rather than once-daily dosing or even multiple doses each day.
- Availability. You will need to consider not only the availability of the steroid, but also the availability of syringes and other accessories you will need to take them safely. Aside from simple availability, you should also consider the cost of syringes along with the cost of your steroids.
- Personal preference. Finally, think about your personal preference for and experience with anabolic steroids. If a friend recommends an injectable Trenbolone, for example, but you know you prefer Anavar or Dianabol, think about what you like and how your body will react. What works well for one person may not work as well for you.
The Winner: Injectable Steroids
In the grand scheme of things, anabolic steroid users almost unanimously agree that injectable steroids are the better choice. Some of the benefits include:
- Fewer (or more tolerable) undesirable side effects
- Better libido
- Less expense
- Better for the liver
- Longer time to develop muscles and maintain gains
- Less frequent dosing
- Better overall sense of well-being
Individuals who prefer injectable steroids will often use the oral kickstart method to truly enhance their cycles, particularly for bulking. When looking at oral vs injectable steroids, you must remember that injectable versions take longer to come to peak concentration and therefore provide results. As such, starting out with an oral steroid can enhance those results and help you stay motivated.
As you can see, in the debate between oral vs. injectable steroids, the injectable steroids are the clear winners. However, there is also a time and a place for oral steroids, namely at the front of a cycle to help kick-start gains. You can also use an oral in the middle of an injectable cycle to help you bust plateaus in your gains.